Thursday, December 14, 2006

A Christmas Note from Mr. White

(This is an excerpt from the note I sent home to the parents of my third graders.)

This Fall, grappling with both the loss of my friend, and the birth of my son, has given the story of Christmas a whole new meaning. The love I have for my blessed family and dearest friends is unparalleled. As I’m sure you can understand, I would do anything to keep them away from harm. How could I entertain any thoughts beyond complete love and protection for those I love? The last thing I would ever do is deliberately put them in a dangerous situation. Yet God sent his son, Jesus, to earth, knowing full well that he would be mocked, beaten and put to death. The sacrifice of His only Son for our sins is outside my comprehension. That is the last thing I’d ever do to my loved ones—yet for us, he did. Despite the difficulty of losing my friend, it brings me tremendous peace to know he is with the Jesus of Christmas now.

This sacrifice is truly a gift for the generations. Despite the difficulty of comprehending such a generous gift, I hope to appreciate it in a deeper fashion this year. I don’t doubt that you have gained perspective on God’s love from your precious children. Thank you for giving me the privilege of being their teacher. I pray you enjoy a wonderful Christmas season with your family.

2 comments:

Angela White said...

this part is soooooo good I want to read the rest...how did I miss getting this?

Anonymous said...

I read and reread the example of Gods love and it is really truly inspiring. So true Andy and what a perfect example of love you gave. Thank you for that. Love Charlotte